1937 Bugatti T57SC Gangloff Drophead Coupe
Chassis No. 57563
The original order for this Bugatti Type 57S chassis was placed by Mr. Philippe Levy, who then commissioned a 2-seater Gangloff body to be built on that chassis. The Levy family ran a successful textile business, Les Grands Moulins de Strasbourg. They had previously purchased a Type 57 DHC with a Gangloff body (chassis 57299) in 1935, which they sold back to Bugatti on April 17, 1938.
Mr. Levy first registered this Bugatti Type 57SC Gangloff Drophead Coupe (chassis 57563) on August 18, 1937 in Strasbourg, France. In 1940, it was registered by Mr. Levy in Marseilles. On April 14, 1947 the car was sold in Paris to a dealer who 'restored' the car, adding Borrani wire wheels and chrome fender tips in the process.
By 1949 the car had arrived in the USA, owned by Viviano Corradini of New Jersey. Woody Garber of Cincinnati, Ohio purchased it from the Corradini family in 1951. Bob Fergus tried to buy the car when he first saw it in Watkins Glen in 1951, but could not convince Mr. Garber to sell until 1955. The current owner purchased the car from Mr. Garber in 1986.
Extensive research was especially important during our restoration. Of special interest is the rear end of the car. With the help of Bugatti authority Mr. Pierre-Yves Laugier, and access to Levi family pictures, we were able to make sense of the body scars revealed during our disassembly. Not only were chrome accents added during the 1950s, the 1937-38 family photos showed the original and quite unusual rear plate and light treatment which had been removed.
Following a complete restoration by Paul Russell and Company, the car was honored as the Most Elegant European Car at the 1997 Pebble Beach Conours, and won Best of Show honors at the Meadow Brook Hall Concours d'Elegance in 1999.